As a non-profit organization, the Open Door Shelter relies heavily on the concern and generosity of our volunteers. Whether you’d like to work in the shelter, cook and serve a meal, or help us in the office, we welcome your help at the Open Door Shelter. It is up to you how much of your time you can volunteer. We appreciate any amount of time you can volunteer to the shelter.
There are many different ways to help support the shelter. Many organizations or individuals have either arranged to raise money to purchase something the shelter needs or do the actual purchasing of that need. Below are some examples of how the community and individuals have helped the Shelter out in different ways. A few examples are:
- The local elementary schools have staged concerts at City Hall & donated the proceeds to the Norwalk Emergency Shelter.
- Churches collect used towels and other items on our wish list.
- One gentleman arranged for one of our children to attend a two week camp.
- One building contractor and a friend donated their time and expertise to create two offices out of one.
- One company adopts dozens of families and purchases and wraps Christmas presents at their annual company holiday party.
- Painting the interior and exterior of our building.
- Planting flowers in our playground.
- Helping prepare our quarterly newsletter for mailing.
- Decorating the shelter for a holiday.
- Helping out at our annual shelter Christmas Eve party.
- Hosting parties on site or off (i.e.: 4th of July, Halloween)
- One boy donated his birthday gifts to the children here at our shelter.
- Children’s groups have made “goody bags” for one of our children’s parties here at the shelter.